Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Waiting for cutting again.


Cutting is my least favorite rodeo event, and not just because it makes me sit around and wait for it. I find it really dull, probably because I don't know enough about the skills involved to appreciate it. Cutting appears to consist of ambling a horse through a crowd of cattle. It's very calm and low-key, and everyone politely applauds with golf applause when someone ambles a horse with particular skill.

I started out liking the rough stock riding events (saddle broncs, bareback broncs and bull riding), mainly because they were exciting. There's real potential for injury to the contestants, the animals are powerful and cool to watch, and it's easy to appreciate.

As I've gotten to know rodeo more, I've come to appreciate some of the other events, like pole bending. Pole bending is horse slalom; a girl rides her horse into the arena, past six poles arranged in a line. She weaves back through them, back through again, and then out. Fastest time wins, and there's a five second penalty for every pole knocked over.

When it's done right, pole bending is as graceful as any ballet, as the girl and her horse glide and weave through the poles. Sometimes you'd swear that they're not touching the arena floor ...

Pole bending isn't as instantly cool as bull riding. But it's well worth learning to appreciate it, and I'm glad I did.

I still think cutting is dull, though.

No comments: