Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Songs and rodeo tech

One of the things I like about rodeo, and especially about working for a rodeo is all of the stuff that's involved in running one. Some of that is because of the technology involved - I'm a sucker for interesting tech. (I sometimes waste whole hours thinking of ways to automate even more of the rodeo stuff, until eventually the humans aren't needed and we're taken over by robot overlords. Then I think about leading a small but brave band of resistance fighters in the terrible struggle against the robots. Then I think of what sort of music should be playing while we defeat the metal tyrants - probably a punk cover of Styx's "Mr. Roboto" - and then I look out the window and wonder where I am, because I was just supposed to be going to the store and now I don't recognize anything. This is why you should be careful about thinking.) A lot of what I like about rodeo, though, is the human side. The NHSRA includes not just the US, but also Canada and Australia, so I've gotten to meet people from all over the world of rodeo, and I really like a lot of them.

We begin every performance with riders carrying the three national flags as well as the NHSRA flag. They ride into the arena, circle it, and then line up in the middle. Each of the national flag carriers takes turns riding around the arena while someone sings the national anthem - if someone can be found to do so. There's generally no shortage of girls who want to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" (I don't know why we have to have an anthem that's so difficult to sing), and there's usually a Canadian or two willing to take a stab at "O, Canada", but we often don't have someone to sing the Australian anthem. They used to play a recording on tape, but that always seemed so ... lifeless. So Bryan and I learned the Australian anthem and sing it when there's no one else. (We can also do "O, Canada" when required, and Bryan can sing "The Star-Spangled Banner". I can if I start on exactly the right note, something I'm not willing to risk in front of a couple of thousand people.)

The Australian anthem is a neat song; the range is possible for the non-professional singer, and the words really show Aussie character: "Australians all, let us rejoice, for we are young and free. We've golden soil and wealth for toil..." I like singing it. And it's something I doubt I'd have ever learned, if it weren't for rodeo.

No comments: